b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:16:39 +0100

Peter wrote:
"I am not convinced that this is a fair summary. I don't think that
authors like Gertoux, Gordon and Franklin have been taken at all
seriously by the scholarly world. I am not saying that they shouldn't
be, but that they are outsiders. I don't think any of them have a
recognised academic position, and I have not seen publications by them
in peer reviewed academic journals."

Forgive me if this is a wrong opinion but seeing as the title of
'scholar' is one that men bestow upon men it hardly seems to be
an appropriate observation that brings anything of worth to the
discussion. On many occasion I have been pleased to see your
request to see primary sources and have agreed with your sentiments
entirely in this regard.
If the reasoning of anyone comes from primary sources and sound points
of reasoning, I do not see what a person's qualifications or worldly
recongnition have to do with anything or why such a question should
even arise. The faithful men of old who copied these manuscripts so
diligently for us were certainly not doctorate holders or seekers of
men's glory but simple men with a profound love for Yah.
Hence, I think we should be more concerned with the evidence provided and
*its* credibility. Rather than the credibility that the world decides to
bestow
upon its providers.