b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:22:03 +0100

Dear James,

The answer is clearly No. We cannot learn anything regarding the old pronunciation of Hebrew from the LXX. The Masoretes were extremely careful when they copied the text, and we have every reason to believe that their vocalization represented the pronunciation that was used in B.C.E.

A curiosity: This year I defended my doctoral dissertation, which gives a completely new definition of the finite and infinite verbs of classical Hebrew. In this work I argue that Hebrew has only two conjugations and not four, and that the so-called consecutive forms were invented by the Masoretes. One of my opponents, from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, had problems in understanding how I could view the Masoretes as extremely faithful copyists and at the same time say that they invented the consecutive forms. We had a very lively discussion about this, were he gave many examples of the faithfulness of the Masoretes.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>