b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:40:45 +0100

Thanx for the answer Rolf. I didn't have an opinion either way. I
just wanted to know other people's thoughts and evidences so that I
could formulate my own opinion after hearing the proofs.

Re: verb forms.
Are you therefore saying that the verbs would be therefore only
perfect and imperfect in aspect with no suggestion of tense? I
thought it was already a well established fact that the hebrews
had no concept of tense in their language.
I have read arguments for a translation of the account of creation
as a series of progressive actions rather than simple past events.
Are you in favour of this mode of translation? Or am I understanding
your comments badly?