b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Masoretic invention, was: masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Masoretic invention, was: masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:36:56 +0100

On 24/07/2005 15:22, Rolf Furuli wrote:

... One of my opponents, from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, had problems in understanding how I could view the Masoretes as extremely faithful copyists and at the same time say that they invented the consecutive forms. We had a very lively discussion about this, were he gave many examples of the faithfulness of the Masoretes.

I'm not surprised, for this has always seemed a weakness in your method as discussed on this list. What answer were you able to give him? Were you able to convince him and the other examiners of your position?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)