b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 4:10 plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Giuseppe Regalzi" <regalzi AT interfree.it>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 4:10 plural
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:49:14 +0200

As the text stands, the subject of YIP.OLW. is HA$.:NAYIM in the previous
verse. Note the zaqef over YIP.OLW.

Syntactically, I don't see how this can be. First, there's a verse
(sentence) break indicated. I know those are somewhat artificial in
places, but it must be considered. Second, the whole thing is inside the
KIY )IM subordinating structure, which helps separate it from the previous
clause/verse. The NIV translates as though HFEXFD is the subject of
YIP.OLW. where the RSV goes the way you suggest. 'Twould appear that
others have had the same problem with it.

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly. What I meant was: As the text stands, the
(implied) subject of YIP.OLW. is HA$.:NAYIM, (mentioned) in the previous verse.

Giuseppe