b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:54:09 +0200

We should just remember that the Greek spellings reflect, at best, the
Hebrew pronunciation of the late second temple period, 3rd century BCE at
the earliest. By that time, Hebrew as a spoken language was already at least
900 years old, and, like all languages, constantly evolving. More
significantly, since by that time the Tetragammaton was being pronounced
less and less, the Greek spellings may well represent reconstructions, and
not the was anyone actually heard the Name being said.

Yigal