b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:44:03 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/2005 6:48:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
patrick AT clubgraves.com writes:

We may assume, therefore,
from the vary accurate mode of Assyrian vocalization,

Let's keep in mind that in Akkadian (Babylonian, Assyrian) five
proto-Semitic gutturals (the equivalents of alef, heh, Heth, `ayin, ghain)
merged and
were lost. Thus Assyrian had no heh: as in narum (cf. Heb. nahar) and
alakum
(cf. Heb. holekh), among others. Thus I question how much we can rely on
Assyrian transcription of words with heh.
Hayyim