b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

The following citation from a hymn to Amun-Re may be relevant to the
discussion of YHWH, and the issue of not pronouncing his name:

Amun,

"...He is too hidden to reveal his majesty,
he is too great to investigate,
too powerful to be known.

One falls down dead from terror,
if one pronounces his secret name,
intentionally or not.
None of the gods knows how to call him by name,
hidden Ba is his name,
hidden it is."

This is from Zandee's translation cited by De Moor in a section entitled
The new Kingdom in Egypt.

Also, if memory serves, Herodotus when referring to an Egyptian main god
states that he cannot mention the name because of its holiness. So the
practice existed there from at least his time.

Uri

http://mail.yahoo.com