b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris Gummer" <chrisgumms AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Martin Arhelger" <arhelger AT gmx.de>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:07:39 +1000

Hi Martin,

1. The hatef-patah is only under the Aleph, as it can not take the vocal
shewa. However, when placing a vocal shewa under a yod, the full shewa is
fine. So I wouldn't view it as a change, as both intances represent vocal
shewas.

2.1 - No, sorry that is just what I have in my grammar.
2.2 - Not sure. However, were those not substitutes for YHWH and even used
for others beside YHWH? Therefore, any such reverance would only extend to
the name YHWH?
2.3 - No idea, sorry I wasn't even aware there were cases.

Martin my apologies I can't give a more substantiated discussion on this,
but as I said I'm a complete beginner! :)

Regards,
Chris.