b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Regnal resume variation in Kings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Regnal resume variation in Kings
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:13:57 -0500

Christopher:

I don’t put much into this difference. Basically, both say the
same thing, that the author was summarizing what the official
chronicles recorded, but most of the times he mentioned his
sources, he words it as a question in order to emphasize that
fact.

>From the simple Hebrew used and the content of the final
chapter, I date the composition to post exile anyways, and the
fact that there is no author listed doesn’t rule out a
collaborative effort. It is these references to sources that
complete the case that these are not original records with
pre-exile authorship, rather a summary of the official records
with an emphasize on the spiritual health of the people.

Karl W. Randolph.