b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel etc.
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:47:00 +0100

On 13/05/2005 08:35, Vadim Cherny wrote:

These correlations might or might not be true, but the reasoning is

flawed.

In this case, lacking evidence to the contrary, we should assume that

ancient Hebrew follows

the same universal patterns that have been discovered in all modern
languages. And we do not find templatic morphology dictating
semantics.

How about Russian aspects, for starters?
Any difference of emphatic prefix вы- (выдавливать, выделывать) from piel?

Russian verb prefixation is indeed an interesting example which is rather parallel to binyan formation in Hebrew. Many of the prefixes seem to have several different meanings. For example, вы- can indicate emphasis or perhaps more precisely achievement, but it can also indicate motion outwards, as in выйти "go out", and (with the reflexive suffix) exhaustiveness, as in высыпаться. Each prefixed verb is generally treated as a separate lexical item, and for good reason, because the meanings of the prefixed forms are not entirely predictable from the base verb and the prefix. But if one comes across a prefixed verb in a text, one can usually understand fairly well from the context what the meaning is. And I think a similar rule can be applied to Hebrew. On the other hand, it would be impossible to find "a fairly rigid rule", at least a simple one, to explain all of the derived meanings.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)