b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel etc.
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 23:59:43 +0100

On 11/05/2005 23:14, Karl Randolph wrote:

While recognizing that each binyan tends to cluster around a meaning, or
maybe more than one meaning, it is my desire to find out what is that meaning
and the breadth thereto. As a lexicographer, then, if I understand the Piel,
for example, then I could predict what the Qal, the Hiphil and other binyanim
meanings would be. ...

Do you mean that you assume that this is true, or that you have proved that this is true?

... But if they don’t follow the pattern, then it is a good sign that I
didn’t understand the Piel correctly in the first place and I need to go back
and do more research. But if I just blindly go on, treating each semantic
domain as an isolated unit, treating each verb’s binyanim as independent from
another verb’s binyanim, what rhyme or reason can I point back to? How can I
be assured of the integrity of my research? How can I confidently understand
the text? And how can I with confidence make an accurate translation of the
text?

I agree that you should not assume that the binyamin are independent. But you shouldn't assume either that they are related by fixed rules. After all, many people have tried to find such fixed rules, and have found the following:

Some people
therefore conclude that there are "rules and lots of exceptions," but
I don't find that approach helpful or accurate, both because the rules
tend to be complicated, and because the exceptions outnumber the
non-exceptions.

See above, sloppiness.

Karl, if you can come up with a set of rules which are not complicated and have no exceptions, then that will be a wonderful step forward for scholarship. But until you can come up with such a set of rules, or at least prove that one exists, you have no right to assume that it is possible to do better than many scholars before you, and no basis and no right to accuse anyone of "sloppiness".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)