b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 00:07:23 +0100

On 11/05/2005 23:41, Karl Randolph wrote:

Whoops, you’re right. I was going by what I had been told, and that had been
wrong.

Sumerian seems to have had no cognates, at least none recognized.

Thank you. Some Turks (especially those who claim that the original homeland of the Turks was in the Middle East rather than in Central Asia) claim that Sumerian is cognate with Turkish, but the link is very tenuous.

Precisely. That is why I objected to your unqualified "Abraham was not even from Sumer".

Would you have been happier had I written, “The only text that mentions
Abraham rules out that he was from Sumer”?

No, I wouldn't, because nothing rules out Abraham being from Sumer. What text are you talking about, anyway? There are many texts mentioning Abraham. If you are talking about Genesis 11:31, this rules out nothing. After all, Haran was only a short distance off the only practical route from the southern Ur to Canaan, assuming that Terah and his family, and perhaps their sheep, didn't want to die of thirst in the desert on the way. If I meet someone in Seattle who says they come from Moscow, I might well assume that they are from Moscow in Russia, not Moscow, Idaho, even though the latter is much nearer.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)