b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:41:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

> On 11/05/2005 20:29, Karl Randolph wrote:

> > We have all heard about Kirkland, Washington, U.S.A., but how
> > many of us know about Kirkland, Quebec, Canada? Similarly Moscow
> > is the capital of Russia, but that is not Moscow, Idaho, U.S.A.
> > Today Las Vegas, Nevada is known world wide for its gambling, but
> > as late as 1950 it was less well known than Las Vegas, New
> > Mexico. Thus when the Bible talks about a Ur of the Chaldeas, I
> > find it pretty hard to relate it to Ur of the Sumerians,
> > especially when I find out that the Sumerians spoke an
> > Indo-European language. ...
> >

> This point is not true. As for the rest, you may well be right, but
> you need some more convincing evidence to be sure.

Whoops, you’re right. I was going by what I had been told, and that had been
wrong.

Sumerian seems to have had no cognates, at least none recognized.

> > ... That there was an ancient town in a Semitic language speaking
> > area with a name whose pronunciation was almost identical to the
> > Biblical Ur pretty much clinches it for me.
> >
> > As for the spread of the flood story, did it come to the
> > Sumerians via the Chaldeans, or did the Chaldeans get it from the
> > Sumerians, or did both get it from a third source independently
> > of each other? The same with other stories known among both
> > groups. The problem is that too much information has been lost
> > from then to now, and archeology is too imprecise a tool to give
> > an answer.
> >

> Precisely. That is why I objected to your unqualified "Abraham was
> not even from Sumer".
>

> -- Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Would you have been happier had I written, “The only text that mentions
Abraham rules out that he was from Sumer”?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm