b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:07:28 +0200

Dear group.
I'm not an expert, and so I'll just contribute a couple of ideas in case you find them of interest.

Exo 20:5. Does this mean necessarily that God would punish individually the children of the sinners? I mean, when the nation of Israel rejected God to worship Baal, for example, God abandoned them and without His protection they were victims of other peoples. Also, those faithful to Yahweh found it difficult in the religious environment they were living. Those were cases of children paying the consequences of their parents' actions. (For instance, Deut 5:9 repeats the idea from Exo 20:5, but doesn't find it in contradiction to Deut 24:16).
It is interesting that Korah was the foremost rebel, the "Judas" of the Pentateuch, whereas his sons had a very good standing, and a lot of psalms were attributed to them.

1 Sam 15. Could not this be because Amalec was still showing the same spirit their forefathers had shown? In later passages of 1 Sam they attack the Israelites and Philistines several times, plundering and destroying, they seem to be a kind of warrior people that today might be labelled as terrorists.

2 Sam 21. Could not be that Saul's children shared a direct responsibility? The verse 1 explicitly states that the guilt was on Saul and his household. The Guibeonites said it was not a question of gold or silver, which fits with the Law (Num 35:30, 31), so this could just be an application of Deut 19:21, a punishment that should have been applied years earlier.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents, Sesamo m., 04/25/2005