b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Human Sacrafice & 2 Sam 21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Human Sacrafice & 2 Sam 21
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:05:36 +0300

Jephtah clearly did not intend to kill his daughter. The community thought
his action gross, and whailed her, instead of rejoicing at the supposed
sacrifice. Killing might be implied, but consecration is equally plausible.

The case of Isaac is not the same, but critically different: there was
divine will to sacrifice a human. In case of Jephtah, not even God foresaw
the consequences of the vow - unless you subscribe to the notions of
omniscience and complete predeterminacy. The victory over Ammon was granted
not because God wanted a sacrifice of Jephtah's only daughter.

In short, Jephtah intended to sacrifice an animal, and foolishly put the
formal obligation of a vow above sanctity of life. Rabbis universally void
unintended vow. Sacrifices and vows could be only intentional. God did not
look to catch Jephtah by his word.

Jephtah's actions is an example of murder, not of human sacrifice. By your
logic, religiously inspired serial killer makes sacrifices. Whatever Jephtah
"thought" about his actions, taking them for sacrifice, they were not.

Vadim Cherny

> My point what that it is an example of human scrafice, foolish or not. It
is no different from Abraham and Issac except there is no divine
intervention to stop it.

> There is no overt critism of Jephthah in the text. His *foolish* vow won
Isreal a great military victory over Ammon and established Jephthah as King
of Gilead. Jephthah only made the vow after the *spirit of Yahweh* came
over him. So