b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Almah vs. Bethulah in Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: Myshalom777 AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Almah vs. Bethulah in Isaiah 7
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:06:09 -0500

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:51:58 EST Myshalom777 AT aol.com writes:
gfsomsel AT juno.com writes:
I have no candidate since I refuse to speculate on the matter. All that
is required is that there be such a child. A determination of precisely
who it may have been is, in any case, beside the point. The point is not
the child but that of which the child will be a sign.

george
gfsomsel
======
Hello George,

Perhaps someone could tell us if there is a sense in which a *particular*
'almah' is indicated by the Hebrew text of Isaiah 7. In any case it has
not stopped Jewish interpreters from speculating.

Celal Berker
www.eefc.co.u
www.fiec.org.uk
www.hristiyan.net

______________

I think you are correct to note that it is a *particular* )aL:MfH who is
in view here. It would seem that the article would indicate this.

The basic opposition of the categories definite: indefinite is similar:
in Hebrew, as in English, the definite noun directs attention to the
referent’s identity, while the indefinite noun focuses on the class to
which the referent belongs, its quality and character. In # 8 the use of
an indefinite (or anarthrous) noun emphasizes the class to which the
referent belongs, while in # 9 the definite (or arthrous) noun phrase
highlights the particularity of the referent.??

Waltke, B. K., & O'Connor, M. P. (1990). _An introduction to biblical
Hebrew syntax_. Includes indexes. (Page 236). Winona Lake, Ind.:
Eisenbrauns.

Therefore, it must have been a particular individual to whom the prophet
pointed by his words, but this is not so evident to us. It could have
been the prophet's wife, some member of the royal family, or (who knows ?
) even the high priest's wife. We lack too much information regarding to
whom such a term might have referred since we have only a limited account
of the society at that time. Therefore any statement regarding her
identity would be sheer supposition. Not only so, but it is entirely
beyond what is necessary to understand the force of the passage, viz.
Some specific woman is pregnant, will bear a son whom she will name
Immanuel, and before this child is weaned Syria will be a thing of the
past.

george
gfsomsel