b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Almah vs. Bethulah in Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: evi7538 AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Almah vs. Bethulah in Isaiah 7
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:09:44 -0500

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 06:15:08 -0800 (PST) Evgeny Ivanov <evi7538 AT yahoo.com>
writes:
> It's interesting that the argument of early christians
> was exactly the opposite - the Is.7.14 is a message of
> prophesy.
>
> >However, the author draws no particular
> > attention to this amazing fact
>
> "For this reason the sovereign master himself will
> give you a confirming sign". If the message is just a
> routine birth by a young women, then what is this
> phophesy about, what is the sign?
>
> Evgeny
_________________

Let me turn the tables on you a bit. This birth is said to be a sign to
Ahaz. A sign would need to be something which the one to whom it is
given would witness. If it is regarding the birth of Jesus Christ, an
event several hundred years later, how then is it a sign to Ahaz since he
will never witness it? Also, if it is regarding a nearer event as well
as a more remote event (i.e. that there was some kind of fulfilment in
the time it was originally given, and if it refers to a virgin birth, are
there then two virgin births in scripture?

george
gfsomsel