b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Almah vs. Bethulah in Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Myshalom777 AT aol.com
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Almah vs. Bethulah in Isaiah 7
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:57:21 EST

In a message dated 02/04/2005 16:33:25 GMT Daylight Time, peterkirk AT qaya.org
writes:

>... The sign is for the whole house of David, not
>primarily for the king in that house at that particular time.
>
>Mark Eddy

Possibly, but there is then a logical problem in taking this as the
virgin birth of the Messiah. For the Messiah is supposed to be the
representative in his own time of the House of David - and this is
certainly how the NT authors understood him.

Hello Peter,

I don't agree with you that NT authors understood Jesus in as circumscribed
a manner as you suggest -- the Messiah is the representative of the House of
David --and also much more according to NT authors. I could refer you (at
least) to Hebrews, and 1 & 2 Peter in that regard.

There should be another post coming to list which is Bishop NT Wright's take
on the Mattean appropriation of the Isaianic passage. He takes the canonical
and theological approach to this passage which i think is absolutely
necessary.

Celal Berker
_www.eefc.co.uk_ (http://www.eefc.co.uk/)
_www.fiec.org.uk_ (http://www.fiec.org.uk/)