b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] John Gill's Dissertation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] John Gill's Dissertation
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:51:49 -0500

Dear Chris:

John Gill did the same thing that the present documentary hypothesis
advocates do: in the absence of physical evidence either pro or con,
speculate based on preconcieved presuppositions.

John Gill lost me in his first chapter, where he tried to prove that the
Aramaic square characters with the points were the original Hebrew alphabet,
one that goes back to Adam. From archeology, we now can say that Torah most
likely was written using proto-Sinaitic glyphs, the prophets using archaic
Hebrew glyphs, with even variations among them, and the square characters
being adopted only a little over 2000 years ago. Gill's argument is
impressive, but speculation upon speculation.

It is stuff like this that makes me insist on physical evidence, the DSS is
one example of such, as the minimum standard before I will accept any claim
that contradicts the internal dates as recognized by attestation where
applicable, and style or internal evidence (e.g. Kings, Chronicles).

Sure, I can speculate with the best, but who will such speculations convince?

Karl W. Randolph.