b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aprisa Old Word Hebrew Program

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tigran Aivazian <tigran AT bibles.org.uk>
  • To: Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aprisa Old Word Hebrew Program
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:32:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Steve Miller wrote:
Lastly, could anyone recommend a PC program for studying the Hebrew Bible
and Biblical Hebrew?

I would recommend to AVOID using computers for studying Biblical Hebrew, because it is too much strain on the eyes. Your eyes are a precious resource give to you by God and it is best to use them for reading books printed on paper than on the screen. So, to study Biblical Hebrew I recommend the following grammars:

J. Weingreen, Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew.

Gesenius. Hebrew Grammar (though his ungodly so-called "scholar" remarks may cause you to vomit --- on the other hand, if you read much of what is said on b-hebrew and don't vomit then you'll be ok :)

As for studying the Hebrew Bible (I assume you mean Massoretic "lore") I recommend:

1. Eliyahu haLevi, Massoret haMassoret. A valuable treatise written in 16th century with lots of notes by Ginsburg (includes both the original rabbinic Hebrew text and English translation)

2. Yaakov ben Chayim ibn Adoniyah, Introduction to the Rabbinic Bible.
Again, lots of useful notes by Ginsburg and an English translation alongside the Hebrew original.

3. C.D. Ginsburg, Introduction to the Massoretico-Critical edition of the Hebrew Bible

(all these books are freely available from bibles.org.uk e-library, of course)

There are many "modern" books on the subject, such as those by Tov, Wurthwein, Paul Kahle and many others but they are all "junk", i.e. are good if you want to be a "modern hebrew scholar" (i.e. blind leader of the blind) but absolutely no use if you want to be a servant of the Lord God of Israel who studies the Hebrew Scriptures in order to keep and do according to all that is given to our fathers by the hand of Moses.

Shalom
Tigran