b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:54:34 +0000

On Fri 25 Mar 2005 (17:56:38 +0000), peterkirk AT qaya.org wrote:
> So I would take the meaning to be that YHWH made man a little lower,
> not than himself, but than any being in the category Elohim. So NIV's and
> TNIV's "heavenly beings" is a good rendering here, in my opinion.

On the basis that Scripture is the best interpreter of Scripture,
let's see what 'e:LoHiYM might mean elsewhere. Psalm 82:1, 6 uses the term
probably with reference to human judges, or maybe Guardian angels in the
Daniel sense (the Prince of Persia's angel, etc.)

In Job 1:6 the angels are called Be:NeY-'eLoHiYM, that is, equivalent to
God; in Genesis 6:2 we have "sons of God" intermarrying with humans if that
were biologically possible. But 'eLoHiYM does mean "God"; not plural gods
('eLiYM), but a plural of Majesty (like Queen Victoria saying 'We are not
amused'; it is not a relic of polytheism). It even means a goddess in
1 Kings 11:5 (Ashtoreth).

As to Psalm 8:5, "a little lower than God" fits well with Genesis 1:26
"Let us make man after our image and in our likeness". Genesis 1:28 and
2:19 provide the real backdrop to Psalm 8:5. Adam is told to replenish the
earth and subdue it; Adam is invited to name all the creatures that God
brought before him for that purpose.

Just my $0.02

Shalom
Ben