b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:36:35 -0500

Dave:

Actually, I meant it for the whole group.

The way I was taught was:

simple intensive causitive

active Qal Piel Hiphil
passive Niphal Pual Hophal

reflexive was by itself: Hithpael.

The "intensive" has always been too vague to satisfy me. Further, Aramaic
seems not to have it (I speak as one with just surface familiarity with
Aramaic, not as an expert). Others have said that it is a marker for the
"stative" concept.

As a lexicographer, I have found that pattern to fit the use in Hebrew quite
well. However, working from an unpointed text, it is often impossible to
recognize the difference between the Qal, Piel, Pual and sometimes even the
Niphal except from the context. Hiphils and Hophals have consistantly fit as
causitives, I don't recall a single time that either could be reflexive,
while Hithpael gives no trouble as a reflexive. Your example below seems to
be one of many where comparitive linguistics has a hiccup.

The above pattern has neither the place nor the need for a "shafel" form.

As for $XH, when as a Hithpael, places the "t" after the sibilant, in a
manner consistant with other Peh sibilant verbs. With this being a regular
feature of the language, to claim that this is evidence of a unique
grammatical form found no where else in Tanakh sounds more speculative than
to ask if this may be from a quadrilatteral verb, the latter which I find
less palatable than to say that it is an irregular verb.

$M$ sometimes takes a masculine verb (e.g. Johsua 10:13), sometimes feminine
(e.g. 2 Kings 3:22), so to say that this is a feminine verb in Song of Song
1:6 $$ZPTNY H$M$ as poetic "the sun glimpsed me" to reference being out in
the sun is not out of line. Nor is it out of line with Hebrew usage, where
poetic phrases abound, especially in the latter pre-exile writers, though
found in earlier poetry as well.

Karl W. Randolph.