b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 38:14b

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 38:14b
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:06:07 -0500

Hi Clay,

I think the figure describes the landforms that appear to take their shape as the sun rises. The landforms appear like an image in clay made by a seal. In our day we might use a comparison to the manner in which a polaroid photo appears. The rolling hills appear like the folds of an extensive garment seeming to undulate as the sun rises and the shadows shorten. Also, as the sun rises and the shadows shorten, the wicked lose their hiding places in the dark.

The subject of wytycbw is qanphot of the previous v. qanaph is sometimes masculine, I believe.

Of course, we need to understand the light that comes with the dawn as a metaphor for justice.

Shalom,
Bryan

You wrote:

After several days of working over Job 38:12-15 with the *help of Dhorme,
Pope, F.I. Andersen, I am a little perplexed over Job 38:14b. What this text
seems to lack is discourse cohesion. The parts don't seem to fit together
into a "text" (as the term is used in semiotic theory).

Questions:

wytycbw kmw lbw$ Job 38:14b

What is the subject of wytycbw ?

What is the sense and referent of lbw$ ?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*DJA Clines, R.Gordis and J.Hartley are on the way here but I don't have
them yet.