b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:27:38 +0000

On 24/12/2004 15:58, Jim West wrote:

You apparently have a very odd view of what inspiration is. The school statement says nothing about the heretical doctrine of verbal plenary inspiration. ...

Nor did I. But, Jim, if the Bible is "truth, without any mixture of error", do you accept the truth of the statements "she became pregnant and gave birth to a son" and "She named him Moses" in Exodus 2:1,10, or do you consider them to be in error because Moses did not exist?

... But again, this is a bit far afield for this list. Currently we are discussing authorship. Now it is your task to demonstrate a) that the Hebrew Bible names authors ...

I have already demonstrated this.

... and b) that those putative authors / biblical characters existed.

No. My claim is simply that there are authorship claims within the Hebrew Bible, something which you denied. I am not making any claim that the authorship claims are true, although others are doing so. The next step is to examine the truth of these claims in a neutral scholarly manner. But of course you are unable to do so because you are a priori bound by your Doctrinal Statement to accept any such claims as "truth, without any mixture of error". No wonder, I suppose, that you are reluctant to accept the existence of such claims, since if they are true they imply that the author existed.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)