b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:31:25 -0500

Jim:

Several of the books mention that they are the works of the person named at
the beginning of the book. Jeremiah actually mentioned that he hired a scribe
(secretary) to write down what he dictated, and when the scribe was no longer
available, he wrote himself. The books are clearly naming authors, whether or
not you accept the named author is a different story.

For example, Tolstoy is listed as the author of "War and Peace". You can
either accept that attribution as being correct, or claim that some
annonymous writer or writers wrote it instead. Even if you claim the latter,
that does not negate the attribution to Tolstoy, it merely says that you
disagree with that attribution.

Likewise, you cannot deny that there is a claimed author listed for many
books in Tanakh, all you can say is that you disagree with the claim.

Karl W. Randolph.