b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YRX (was: logograms--an ode to Hebrew)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YRX (was: logograms--an ode to Hebrew)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:13:36 -0800 (PST)

Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
< snip>
"Now look at some of
Abraham's relatives: his father was Terah, obviously a form of YRH (YRX).
His grand nephew was Laban ("white" - Lebanah is another name for the moon).
Both his wife "Sarai" and sister-in-law "Milkah" are words that mean
"Queen", and the moon was often known as the Queen of the Heavens.

Does all this mean that Abrahm's family were originally moon-worshippers?"

Good points. The text definitely points in this direction.

Could you elaborate a bit on the connection between Sarai and "queen", --
as a possible fem. form of Sar?

Uri