b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:11:21 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>
To: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 6:05 AM

At 03:15 AM 12/24/2004, you wrote:

Of course that isn't exact. I could write a book claiming that Henry
Kissinger wrote it, but that wouldn't make it so. In the same way there
are apocalypses written in the name of Adam, Enoch and others; but I
hardly think you would grant that any credence. When a claim to
authorship is challenged, the challenger is obliged to submit evidence
which falsifies that claim. Anyone wishing to deny the challenge is
obliged to submit evidence falsifying the falsification.

george

I think what some are missing is the simple fact that the books of the Hebrew Bible NEVER claim authorship by anyone! Anywhere! The superscriptions are centuries later.

Jim

I am going to take this just a tad bit further than my good friend Jim in this period just prior to the moderator halting this thread. The existing evidence and lack of evidence strongly suggests Moses and the Exodus as a pious fiction, or at most a gross exaggeration, constructed in the 8th-7th centuries BCE (IMO, under Josiah) to give "history" to the group. To discuss the language of Adam is tantamount to discussing the arctic furniture style of Santa Claus. I have been fortunate to read some of the most informative expositions and debates on Hebrew style, grammar and orthography on this list but must admit that I am taken aback by what I have read recently regarding the perceptions on the stemma of the NW Semitic languages and the appearance of Hebrew in that line of development. The Iron Age literary style was to attribute a text to one's favorite hero. The next thing under discussion is the language of the talking snake...Nahashese?

Jack