b-hebrew - Fw: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Fw: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:05:36 +0200

> > What about XNML, XSPS, XCCR, XRGL, XR+M, XRM$, X$ML and I don't know
how
> many more, just from looking at a few pages of the dictionary.

I'm still not familiar with this transcription (yes, I know I can look it
up), so I wouldn't answer in detail. Some are perhaps comined two-letter
cells, most are loans.

> > As for the triliteral root, that is a medieval invention, during which
> time they added a medial yod or waw to many biliteral roots,

What is the evidence for this dating?
As you know, there is some evidence to waw-iod roots being original, not
modifications of biliterals. Say, gr root is related to scratching with
various third radicals, and seemingly little related to gwr, live.
Besides, in that case we would expect ayn-ayn, ayn-waw, and ayn-iod roots
being identical, which is not the case. The differentiation between these
roots is already present in Tanakh.

> > and I wonder how many doubled ayins roots are really biliteral roots
> lengthened to make a triliteral root

Sure

> > And another thing, I now think that it is very likely that Hebrew
> originally had every letter a CV, a consonant followed by a vowel.

I'm of the same opinion, except that I think there was a single vowel only.

Vadim Cherny