b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:06:43 +0000

On 22/12/2004 21:53, Jim West wrote:

At 04:49 PM 12/22/2004, you wrote:

This is true if you accept Jim's idiosyncratic definition of "paraphrase". I do not.

I wasn't aware that the dictionary carried idiosyncratic definitions. Whether or not you accept a definition is your own business of course- but it is your understanding that is idiosyncratic.

Jim, earlier I quoted a dictionary definition of "paraphrase" which is quite different from the one you are working on. On that definition it is certainly not true that "all translations are paraphrases", as stated by Karl, for as George pointed out the paraphrase is implicitly within a single language. But I realise that dictionaries differ. Do you have support for your definition from a respected dictionary?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)