b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Byzantine Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Byzantine Text
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:35:25 +0000

On 18/11/2004 04:25, Kevin Riley wrote:

If anyone is wondering about the arguments in favour of the Byzantine text,
this is an article from one of its better defenders:

http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol06/Robinson2001.html

Some articles I found by Daniel Wallace against his view:

Kevin, thank you for these articles. I haven't read them yet, but they may keep me going later :-)

To bring this back to the original point, which really does concern the pronunciation of biblical Hebrew:

We need to dissociate this discussion from the contentious but very general issue of Byzantine vs. Alexandrian text and look at the evidence for individual readings, and the earliest Greek MSS (and perhaps early translations) which have these readings. Here is a start, taken from the Nestle-Aland 27th edition apparatus:

Matthew 4:13:
Evidence for KAPERNAOUM: C L W ͨ (Θ) 𝒻1,13 𝕸
Evidence for KAFARNAOUM: ℵ B D W* Z 0233. 33 pc lat(t) co

The oldest evidence for KAPERNAOUM is C, 5th century. ℵ (alef = Sinaiticus) and B (Vaticanus) are a century earlier. But I accept that this is by no means decisive one way or the other. What might be decisive would be evidence from early papyri. There is no such evidence for this verse, so maybe I should look elsewhere.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)