b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:11:02 +0000

On 19/11/2004 12:38, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

1) /c/ above is a phoneme, not a grapheme. It represents the IPA symbol
c, which is different than English c. (In fact, in my attempt to find what
this
sounds like, I found English has no phoneme that is transcribed by /c/ in
IPA). ...

This sound, IPA [c], can be heard (more or less) at the start of English "cute" etc, as the y sound following the c causes it to be pronounced well forward on the palate. But in English it is not a phoneme (it has no distinctive role - although "cute" is of course distinct from "coot"), but a phone or sound.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)