b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:23:11 EST

In a message dated 11/17/2004 5:10:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kwrandolph AT email.com writes:

> Marianne, I know that you're agnostic, but even you can't rule out an
> exodus occuring during the Hyksos period of fleeing Semitic slaves. I
> remember
> reading that Beitek in his excavations found evidence that the Hyksos were
> not
> on good terms with even all the Semitic population in the Nile delta, let
> alone the native Egyptians, so a restive group of Semites fleeing during
> the
> Hyksos period cannot be ruled out.

I am a Jew like any other Jew. Not an agnostic. But, for me, this business
has nothing to do with religion--but rather history. Egyptian and Israelite
(I can't say just "Jewish"). I don't rule out anything. In fact, I recently
argued in the "editorial" section of an Egyptological magazine contra a
person
who claimed Hyksos can't be equated with Jews. My response was that,
according to Manetho, there was more than one dynasty of "shepherds" (or
"shepherd
kings" in the explanation of Manetho of the etymology of the term). And we
really don't know the ethnicity of these Hyksos dynasties. They may have
been
contemporary--or not. Regardless, I wrote that if there were any of Jacob's
tribe
living in the north of Egypt at the time when it was attacked by Ahmose, the
Theban prince, they would have surely sought shelter within the fortified
city
of Avaris-- of the legendary great walls--, in the eastern Delta, once they
found out that Ahmose was "on the water", as his army came on the Nile. And
been expelled with the rest once Avaris fell.