b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:01:45 -0500

Peter:

I am not a scholar of Greek language, New Testament nor NT textual criticism,
never was, and so I leave the argument to those who are scholars. Harstad and
his school claim that the "Coptic" (referring to Egypt, not language)
rescension of Greek manuscripts is not the oldest line, and I, beyond
reporting about it, will leave the discussion alone.

However, I now think that the soft sounds of BGD KPT letters in Hebrew are a
late development, not original. And to see that at least in the Byzantine
tradition of NT manuscripts that some of the transcribed names had the hard
sound where later Hebrew had soft gives some (weak) support to my theory.
That the texts that Nestlé is based on have a later pronunciation could very
well be a result that they were produced in a millieu where there were many
Jews (e.g. Alexandria) who could keep the scribes up to date on the latest
Hebrew pronunciations.

The claim that the soft and hard sounds were original and peacefully
coexisted over the millennia until the Masorites codified them with their
points, does not match known patterns of language shift and development.
(Don't anybody say that I claim that the Masorites invented anything other
than the points themselves. They did not invent the pronunciations they
codified.) Languages both lose and gain phones and phonemes, and I don't see
that Hebrew should be an exception.

Karl W. Randolph.