b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:09:57 -0500

Marianne:

What follows is what I remember, for I would have to reread all the story to
get all the details. But I think I caught the main ones.

When I look at the story of Joseph, I see one of a young Semite sold to
Egyptian buyers:

He was bought by one who had an Egyptian name

When elevated to prime minister, given an Egyptian name

His inlaws had Egyptian names

Even though his family was settled in Raamses, "close" was only a relative
term, as before they had been outside of Egyptian control, making it
impossible for Joseph to visit them

Apparently Joseph lived some distance from Raamses, as he waited a while
before introducing his sons to his father.

>From all of these, I get the picture that Joseph was stationed in Thebes
>under an Egyptian pharaoh. He was a distance away, but close enough that he
>could make regular trips to visit his family.

Then in Exodus, we see a new pharaoh "who did not know Joseph" who was
concerned about the numbers of this people who had a special relationship
with the Thebian rulers. So they tried to reduce the numbers. That the
pharaoh was worried that Israel would become more numberous than his own
people is a clue that "his people" were relatively a small people in numbers
ruling over a larger, sometimes restive, population. Didn't that fit the
Hyksos shortly after they assumed power? Even a generation later?

Moses, when he was pulled out of the water, was given a Semitic name (the
Hebrew form of the name was probably pronounced MoSeh, or I think more likely
MoSeHe, not like what I was told about the Egyptian names having "mosis" in
them, such as Thutmosis.)

The capital was apparently in the land of Goshen, near to where Israel lived

The Egyptian people had favor for Israel indicates that Israel stood up to an
unpopular ruler

That the pharaoh would be forgotten, unknown to history fits the destruction
of the Hyksos kingdom after the exodus

All in all, taken together, this is a picture that sounds to me like that of
the Hyksos and none others.

As for the name Raamses for a city name, it is mentioned in Genesis from
before the Hyksos period. It was one of the major production cities during
the Hyksos period. Is there enough information to rule out that that was a
city that was destroyed when the Hyksos were expelled, and never rebuilt? Or
if rebuilt, had a different name?

The picture doesn't sound like Raamses the Great, because there was no long
term royal presence in the area before the exodus (80 years at least, if not
longer), Raamses was not killed with his army, in fact there is no record of
him losing an army while chasing a large group of runaway slaves, and Raamses
was too late according to other chronology (not even considering Rohl's
theories).

Marianne, I know that you're agnostic, but even you can't rule out an exodus
occuring during the Hyksos period of fleeing Semitic slaves. I remember
reading that Beitek in his excavations found evidence that the Hyksos were
not on good terms with even all the Semitic population in the Nile delta, let
alone the native Egyptians, so a restive group of Semites fleeing during the
Hyksos period cannot be ruled out.

Karl W. Randolph.