b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: gfsomsel AT juno.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:38:59 -0500

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:31:24 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> When was the earliest Hebrew written? The earliest Phoenician?
>
> Since the earliest historical records of writing in Hebrew were on
> what we today would call leather scrolls, the earliest specifically
> mentioning writing before 1400 BCE, wouldn?t that put it earlier
> than the earliest Phoenician writing? And even though Genesis does
> not specifically mention writing, that it preserves a literary style
> that went out of style before Moses, that implies writing centuries
> before Moses.
>
> The next question, do you trust the historical records, and why? I
> would not be surprised that if you don?t trust the records, it is
> for theological and not historical reasons.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

____________

How do you know what Hebrew may or may not have been prior to a putative
Moses? Do you have any examples of Hebrew to support your argument that
Genesis displays a style of writing prior to such time?

How about the Ugaritic materials? These were prior to any supposed Moses
and were of the region concerned. Also, reminiscences common to
Ugaritic material are found in the Tanak. This is likely material common
to the NW Semitic region. It has been preserved at Ras Shamra due to the
fact that it was recorded on clay tablets as were the Akkadian and
Babylonian writings. I think your dating is purely theologically
motivated.

george
gfsomsel