b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:08:18 -0500

George:

What do we know about Hebrew prior to "putative Moses"? Only what is
referring to earlier events written in Hebrew. Did Moses edit those earlier
stories to make them conform to the Hebrew of his time? There is no way that
I know of that we can tell, either way.

As for the dating of the Ugaritic texts, there was a debate in this forum not
long ago concerning the accuracy of traditional dates. But even the earliest
dates for the Ugaritic literature that I have seen (ca. 1200 BCE) is still
well after Moses (who wrote ca. 1450-1400 BCE). If Rohl and others like him
are correct, even that date is a couple of centuries too early.

As for the literary style I referred to, it was not unique to Hebrew, rather
it was one shared by other cultures as well, where the title and author were
listed at the end of a document, not the beginning. There are several places
in Genesis that hint, if not more, at inclusion of documents using this style.

As far as *your* dating is concerned, in the absence of historical documents
other than Tanakh that can either confirm or disprove the accuracy of Tanakh
as a historical document, how can your dates be anything other than
theologically based?

Karl W. Randolph.