b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew and Welsh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew and Welsh?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:21:13 +0000

On 17/11/2004 16:08, Yigal Levin wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: <MarianneLuban AT aol.com>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 1:35 PM

Thank you, Marianne, for this fascinating study. See some more points

below.

On 17/11/2004 05:33, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

... Of course, it is supposed to be that the priestly family died
out among the Samaritans and that the Levites then took over the priestly
office. But, according to DNA, this is not true...

This doesn't follow. If the original priestly family were descendants of
Aaron, they were closely related in the male line to the remaining
Levites, for (according to the Hebrew Bible) they had a common ancestor
in Levi only a few generations before Aaron - and only one generation
earlier with all true Israelites. So it makes sense that the Samaritan
Levites share a common Y chromosome type with the Jewish Cohens,
presumed to be descendants of Aaron - and with a good proportion of
modern Jews, presumably excluding descendants of later proselytes,
Jewish women who took Gentile husbands etc.

Actually, the present Samaritan priests are supposingly non-Aaronite
Levites. The Samaritans claim that their last true Kohen died childless
several generations ago, and the job was passed on to the most senior Levite
clan.

That was my point. They are not Aaronites, but they are Levites, which puts their common ancestry back only a few generations.

To me, the use of genetics to find "lost Jewish tribes" seems rediculous.
Since when was Judaism (or any other faith) about genetics?

This isn't an issue of faith, but of history. To me, at least.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)