b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 9:15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 9:15
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:14:22 -0500

Sujata:

No, I don’t think so.

Job had a great life, then suddenly everything fell down about his ears. To
top it off, his health failed. Then in chapter 3 he complains that his life
is bitter. Chapters 4–5 Elipaz claimed that Job must have done something
really rotten to deserve what he got, ’fess up and get his life right. Of
course Job hasn’t done something really rotten, and in chapters 6–7 he
protests his innocence, demanding proof from his friends where he might have
gone wrong. But he has begun to accept his friends’ claim that suffering is
the result of evil doing, and God had caused this suffering to come upon him.
Chapter 8 Bildad answers that God doesn’t twist justice, and Job’s suffering
is prima fascie evidence that Job has done something rotten. Chapter 9 Job
acknowledges that God is just and no person is perfect, but he hasn’t done
anything really rotten, so now he’s coming to the conclusion that he is
suffering unjustly. So in verse 15 he calls out for judgement on his behalf,
the word M$P+
is incorrectly pointed.

That’s a great simplificaton of the story as I understand it, and why I think
Job 9:15 is mistranslated.

Karl W. Randolph.