b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 9:15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 9:15
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:48:19 +0100

At 10:28 17/09/2004, "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net> wrote:

Judge is an innacurate translation. Any comments please?

Reyburn, W. D. (1992). A handbook on the book of Job. UBS handbook series; UBS helps for translators (Page 187). New York: United Bible Societies. deals with this verse thus:

>> I must appeal for mercy to my accuser: since Job has no possibility of
answering or defending himself before God, he has no recourse but to throw
himself on God's mercy. Translations differ in their rendering of the term
translated accuser by RSV. TEV and others have 'judge.' It is evident that
Job's opponent is also the one who judges him, and 'judge' appears to
render the term better in English than does 'accuser' which carries no
special legal connotation. Appeal for mercy must often be restructured to
say, for example, 'ask God to be kind to me'? or 'beg the one who judges me
to have mercy on me.'

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie