b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Job 9:15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Job 9:15
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:28:11 +0200

Job 9:15 Root: Shin-Peh-Tet

"....I would plead (make supplication) to my Judge"

Qustion: This is the only PIEL from this root, and even then it is cleaely a
participle. What is more Gesenius refers to it as POEL indicating something
that is OPPOSED. Since this would fit in with the CONTEXT of Job's anguish
and personal distress at feeling neglected by God, (even though
paradoxically Job remains faithful), Judge is an innacurate translation.
Any comments please?

A little while ago I asked about the Piel of the root 'Peh-Lamed-lamed' I
want to know if there was ever the root 'Peh-Lamed' somewhere??

Thankyou

Chris.