b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 6:19 'date cake' & 'raisin cake'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Powell <powellbrian AT omf.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 6:19 'date cake' & 'raisin cake'
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:10:17 -0800

Greetings.

I have two questions about this verse. First, the word )e$:pfr. Footnotes in the various bibles say this is a word of uncertain meaning. It is variously translated as 'A cake of dates' or 'A portion [of meat]'. Does anyone have any insight into what this means?

Secondly, the word )a$iy$fh. This is generally translated as a cake of raisins. However I just want to clear up my understanding on this because one of the Philippine bibles translates this to mean a cake made with raisins (ie. something like a fruit-cake), whereas I have always thought that it meant a handful of raisins that has been pressed together into a block. Which is correct?

Thanks.
Brian

--

Brian & Laureen Powell