b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use and Misuse of Waw in Verb Tenses
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:01:22 +0200

Dear Peter,

I understand that your position is caused by your inductive approach to Hebrew verbs. My different conclusion is caused by the approach of distinguishing between semantic meaning and conversational pragmatic implicature. Less than one percent of all Hebrew verbs can be used to identify semantic meaning. In my view a quality approach (semantics) is much better than a quantity approach (pragmatics).

Best regards

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo