b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Joe Baker <joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:53:06 +0100

On 30/08/2004 13:28, Joe Baker wrote:

Peter - Thanks for the correction on Rohl. I am well aware of his main work but I did not know that he had recently corrected his obvious error. My information about his timeline for dynasty 19 and 20 came from his (now defunct) web-site. While this web-site is no longer available directly the page can be retrieved using the archival internet "wayback machine". This page is archived at
http://web.archive.org/web/20010222202019/http://www.nunki.net/ PerRenput/TimeLines/NCEgypt.html
Here you will see that originally he had Setnakht dying in 866 BC with Tausert acting as regent from 862 BC before becoming pharaoh and dying in 855 BC - an impossible 11 years after Setnakht.

Thank you for this link, which helps me to understand some of Rohl's thinking although it is obviously not his latest version. I see he takes Rameses IV-VIII as successive co-regents of Rameses III, and Rameses XI also as a co-regent - or perhaps a rival.

The main change from this link to "From Eden to Exile" seems to be a compression of the late 19th dynasty, which is acheived mostly by cutting out a separate reign for Seti II and making him a co-ruler with Amenmesse. But this does seem to conflict a bit with Rohl's old "HD" data (highest attested regnal year?)

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)