b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:51:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2004 4:36:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

> I am puzzled by your "The only pharaoh ever called “Rampses” was
> Ramesses III". "Rampses" is a very obvious Greek corruption of "Rameses"
> and so can equally refer to any Pharaoh called Rameses. On Rohl's
> interpretation Rampses father of Amenophis is of course Rameses II.

The "p" in Rampses is just a naturally occurring thing. Say "Ramesses" a few
times quickly and you will see what I mean. It has nothing to do with the
actual spelling of the name--but then few of the names of Manetho do. He
just
gave them as they would have been pronounced (more or less) and added the
Greek
sibilant at the end. But I am pretty certain Ramesses III is the only one to
which the ancient historians add a "p" or and "f". Why, I have no idea. But
I will double check on this. Rohl is wrong. But this time he is no more
wrong than anybody else. Including me. In my own book, I stated that the
story
can have been referring to things that happened in more than one reign. And
this has been a concensus for a long time. I qualified this by writing that
this might be connected to times when the prenomina began to be duplicated by
the 20th Dynasty kings. But since then I discovered something that made me
realize this is the absolute truth--and that the Tale of the Polluted Ones
has
nothing to do with any earlier time at all. I realize that this statement
will
arouse your derision, but I ask you, for your own sake, to hold off saying
any
more until I finish the paper I am writing ;-)

> > >... For further remarks on Setnakht in the Classic memory, see
> > >
> > >http://www.geocities.com/scribelist/setnakht.html

> > agreeing with Diodorus Siculus that this was in the time of Setnakht),
> > and Menelaus visiting Setnakht (= Thouris = Polybus) soon afterwards. I
> > am sure Rohl's chronology could be adjusted sufficiently to have
> > Menelaus visiting Tausert instead with your identification, but wouldn't
> > the Greeks have realised that it was a woman he visited?>>
> >
> > They did--and called her Polydamna. She was the one who introduced the
> > Greeks to a drug--nepenthe--which made people forget their woes. What
> > the Greeks didn't realize that this Polydamna was the same as Thouris.
>

> Thank you.

> > your synchronisms of Helen visiting Setnakht before the Trojan War and
> > Menelaus visiting Tausert after the Trojan war both work only if
> > Setnakht precedes
> > Tausert, and that is what Joe said is impossible.>>
> >
> > But I didn't say anything about "before" or "after" the Trojan War. It
> > is only said that Proteios, which I equate with Setnakt, ruled around
> > the time of the Trojan War.
>

> My point was that, if we are taking these old Greek stories at all
> literally, Paris and Helen must have visited Egypt before the Trojan
> War, or perhaps during it, because Paris died during the war and Helen
> returned to Sparta after it.

I take your point. So perhaps Polydamna has nothing to do with Tawosret,
after all. But is another woman. But I still believe that Thouris is a
combination of Tawosret, Seti II and Setnakht--all because of the term "wsr"
in their
nomina or prenomina--which was evidently construed as having the connotion of
"rich"--which it did--but not in the case of names. There it means
"powerful". Regardless, it is evident that Manetho didn't know too much
about this
time because he gives it short shrift--and makes poor Akhenre Siptah into a
woman--Alcandra.