b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:45:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/2004 8:30:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au writes:

> Marianne the reason why Josephus said that the exile occurred in the
> Egyptian month of Pharmouti is because when he wrote his work (the AD
> 80's) the Hebrew month of Nisan mostly corresponded with this Egyptian
> month.

This is likely so, but Pharmouti took place in the spring at other times,
too. At the time of the routing of the Hysos it did--which is when Josephus
believed *the* exodus occurred. The salient point is, though, that Josephus
did
not write the Bible. Whoever wrote the BOE said that the exodus took place
in
the spring--so we have to go along with that--and take a time when Pharmouti
was in the spring. Which it was not always.

> Peter I see you follow Rohl and have some of his material on the
> chronology of this period. Read carefully and you will see that he has
> Setnakht ruling andmonth.
> dying before Tausert. Now this under any condition
> is impossible. Look up tomb 14 on various websites - the best is at
> http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/. This tomb was started for Tausert
> during the reign of her step son Siptah. By the time she became king
> work was being conducted on her burial chamber. Later when Setnakht
> became king he took it over and had a second burial chamber dug that
> began where Pharaoh Tausert's ended and extended further into the
> mountain. Now as I said Rohl has Setnakht dying before the reign of
> Tausert, yet his tomb, by its very nature, must have been constructed
> after the death of Tausert.

Beware, Joe, lest the wrath of the Rohlites fall upon thee! ;-( BTW, what
Joe says is absolutely right.