b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:04:19 -0600

On Friday 27 August 2004 11:45, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

[snip - I'll let the lawyers sort that part out ;-) ]
> Let me quote from p.235
>
> > of "A Test of Time", well before the "Now I am going to show you the
> > statue of Joseph" part:
> >
> > A Change of Evidence
> >
> > At this point I need to make a statement concerning the character of
> > this fourth section of the book. ... It is important, therefore, to
> > stress that the nature of the evidence is about to change. ...
> >
> > In other words, Rohl is admitting without quite using the words that the
> > rest of his book is a speculative reconstruction based on unreliable
> > sources like Manetho.
>
> Who are you now? Rohl's lawyer? You are carrying this whole "Rohl thing"
> you have got too far. You would be better off saving this kind of stuff
> for the Yahoo group dedicated to this author. Rohl, "Pharaohs and Kings",
> page 364: "At the beginning of our journey back in time I promised you that
> we would stand together before the cult statue of Joseph and look upon the
> likeness of this remarkable legendary figure from the past. With the
> advent of modern computer technology I am able to keep my promise."

This quotation is badly out of context. He's talking about restoring what
the
statue probably looked like in ancient time, and the overall context, as
Peter showed, makes it clear that he admits he's speculating about it being
Joseph at all. Anybody can make a text say anything they want if they just
take a snip-snip here and a snip-snip there without regard to context, but
that doesn't make their analysis correct.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur