b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Thera quote

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Thera quote
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:09:09 -0500

Michael:

What did Josephus know about the Hebrew calandar? We have indication that it
had ceased to be used 500 years before Josephus. Even in Tanakh, the
post-exilic writings named the months according to Aramaic names, indicating
that the Hebrew calandar was already then not being used, let alone centuries
later. That will also explain why for your claim that most historical
mentions of Hebrew religious feasts don’t coincide with the first and seventh
months.

As for the time of the year for the Exodus, we have numerous references that
it was about the time of harvest in Egypt. But I think it would be hard to
prove anything tighter.

Karl W. Randolph.