b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:03:44 +0100

On 26/08/2004 21:50, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

Answer me this: Is Rohl a trained Egyptologist?

To the best of my recollection, Rohl wrote his "Pharaohs and King" while going for his Masters in Egyptology, which can be achieved in a single year in the UK. In fact, that is the duration of the Master in Egyptology program at the London college which he attended. Whether by now he has the doctorate or not--I don't know. But what I said below still goes--for people who write in the field of Egyptology, formally trained or otherwise.

From the title page of "A Test of Time" (which is the same as "Pharaohs and Kings"):

"David took his degree in Egyptology and Ancient History at University College, London, between 1987 and 1990, where he is currently completing a doctoral thesis." The book is copyrighted 1995. It takes at least three years to complete a PhD by thesis in England. Even if the book was delayed, this implies something like six years of study of Egyptology at one of its most prestigious institutions.

Of course it is hard to actually get a PhD by thesis if one's results disagree with the presuppositions of the examiners.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)