b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:39:29 +0100

On 27/08/2004 18:45, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

So, Mr. Peter Kirk--where is the libel? And what does Rohl's assertion that he has actually found a statue of Joseph have to do with Manetho? Also, I suggest you give up "lawyering" as your previous posts have shown that you don't even know the difference between civil and criminal law.

Now you are libelling *me* in a public forum. You might find yourself needing a lawyer yourself. You have no idea whether or not I have qualifications in law. You should be careful before making such a statement publicly about someone who for all you know might be a practising libel lawyer who would certainly see what you write as a libel against himself. Such things could get very expensive for you.

Meanwhile, Marianne, I haven't noticed many question marks in your recent postings, just quite a lot of statements like "definitely" and "No doubt about it".

About some things I don't have any doubts. Yet I also doubt that I have made "quite a lot of statements" that contain those words. But if I found a statue that looked to be like that of an Asiatic at Avaris (where Asiatics lived for a long time) I would certainly not go out on a limb declaring "this must be Joseph"!!!!

I don't think David Rohl ever stated that "this must be Joseph". He acknowledges that there is much speculation here. He certainly allows much more room for doubt about this statue than you do (in the words of yours I quoted) about the actions of Hatshepsut.

PS (and in fact you could probably have discovered this from my website) I am not in fact a lawyer, and I have no intention to take this to court. But I agree with you that the moderators ought to intervene, to stop list members libelling either reputable scholars like David Rohl or other list members.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)